Monday, September 13, 2010

Interview Designer Genevieve Davies


Hello all, I promised I would post up some interviews of interesting people I meet, here is the first in this series. Set and Costume Design student Genevieve Davies is graduating with me in a few weeks time. Her sense of humour and adventure always makes me smile. Enjoy...

Let's start with an easy one... What is your favourite thing to wear?
A beautiful dress that I made in 2007. The design was based on Shakespeare’s character ‘Ophelia’. Backless, with long layers of delicate silk and chiffon.

Your favourite thing to drink/eat?
French hot chocolate in a bowl with chilli and nutmeg, and a rabbit curry that my Dad used to make.

If you were an animal, which would it be?
Dragon. Duh.

What are you working on right now?
Cleaning my desk. Almost done. It’s taken 6 hours so far.. Apart from that I’m putting together photos from the past three years at WAAPA. Here’s the first concept sketch for Evelyn Nesbit from ‘Ragtime.’



In the next year, what are your rough plans or goals?
Come and visit you in Adelaide ;) Good answer?

The best place you have traveled to...
Been all over the world, loved it and can’t wait to go again. But my favourite place will always be the place I grew up; a 40acre property in the middle of the forests of South Western WA.







The last thing that made you laugh till you cried...
Pretty much anything my sister Emily says. Eg. ‘Gen, what shape is the oval at the WACA?’

What do you collect?
I collect all sorts of things. But books are the most constant. I’m reading the Drowner by Robert Drewe at the moment. And I’ve been trying to get hold of this one for a while:



What can you not live without?
Music.

What is your best Perth memory?
WAAPA. And going to what we called The Fairy Shop in Fremantle. It’s still a tradition when my sister comes to Perth.

Can you draw a quick illustration of a creature that is in your mind right now?



Is there anything else we should know about you?
My new fascination: Edwardian Autochromes. The origin of colour photography. They’re so beautiful.






On a perfect day off, what do you do?
Sit on the verandah and read, with a selection of music and a glass of cold, dry white wine.

If you found a treasure box, what would it look like? And what would it contain?
Well… when Em and I were little, we amused ourselves a lot playing Pirates. One particular time, we thought that it would be good idea to bury an ice-cream container full of our Christening jewelry as well quite a few strings of Mum’s favourite pearls. We forgot to mark the spot… hopefully I’ll find it one day…?

No comments:

Post a Comment