Saturday, June 29, 2013

Winter Breakfast

 photo Porridge_zps7f234996.jpg

 photo Winter-Breakfast_zps6eb33a30.jpg

 photo Winter-Porridge_zpsba849df3.jpg

Righto so this is a fashion/ arts departure, but I have had a few people asking about the food I eat lately, which is a pretty weird question, but at the same time, I thought I would humour them. 
I am actually pretty fussy, I don't do a lot of sugar, and refuse to have fizzy drinks, lollies, over the top fatty fast foods, and so on. I prefer water, 80% cocoa fair trade chocolate (and only occasionally in SMALL doses), and sushi or salads are my fast food.

I suppose being allergic to things like chicken, and unable to tolerate a lot of gluten, wheat or dairy, and having spent a good ten years or more 'as a vegetarian', some things are just not going to pass through my lips. I have seen nutritionists, natropaths and so on. Over the years I have been put on elimination diets, and have worked out what does and does not work for me. Also it is worth noting, that my choice to never smoke/ take drugs is a constant laughing matter as friends make fun of that, but it's my choice. I do like wine and gin, but drink little- mostly on special occasions.

Anyway, to start each day I drink warm water with fresh lemon to cleanse things. In winter I love quinoa porridge, using rolled quinoa with coconut or almond milk, goji berries, chia seeds and blueberries. 
I prefer fresh blueberries but when they are $8 per punnet, I go frozen. 
I drink at least one cup of coconut water each day- again preferably from a young drinking coconut, but also when they are $4 each, I'll settle for an organic, no added sugar carton. All of these items are easily found in the supermarket. I hate that there is a 'section' in the supermarket which denotes 'health foods' as to me it should all be health foods, but alas, that is a dream. I guess when you add up the costs of these items they can be pricey compared to say a box of cornflakes and a carton of milk, but for me, this food makes me happy, I do not have trouble with a queasy stomach an hour or so later, and I stay fuller for longer. Sometimes I do not know where my day will take me, and like to know I ate a good meal to begin with, just in case lunch is a long time away. 
Later in the morning I will then have a cup of herbal tea and occasionally coffee (but I have been trying to limit this to one or two a week), no sugar! 

Water is my favourite thing to drink, but I also like to make green vegetable juices and coconut/ yoghurt fruit smoothies. I will chuck in chia seeds, spirulina or noni juice. Also I love kale. Oh yeah, I am one of 'those' people. You can read a thousand conflicting reports on how good or bad so called 'super foods' are for you. For me, the proof is in the fact that I am healthier eating this way, I feel it. My body does not have any awkward digestive troubles, I have more energy and I look forward to eating. I think food is amazing, and I really love to enjoy a meal, giving myself the right foods, and the time to do this is important. (I have to remember this when my work load goes nuts!)
After porridge, I'll eat more fresh fruit with nuts and seeds over organic natural yoghurt or an orange or banana. Snacking on goji berries is a must- they are so tasty, I have a packet at each desk, plus they replenish my energy levels. 

A great snack I make up are batches of cocoa date energy balls. Basically with dates, nuts like almonds, pecans, walnuts, macadamias, organic cocoa powder (Cocoa Gold is the best one), coconut oil and chia seeds. I soak the dates in warm water for about 15 minutes, process all of the other ingredients in a processor, add the drained dates, sit that for ten minutes then roll them into the ball shape and finally roll them in shredded coconut or cocoa powder. If it is too dry I add coconut water, and if too sticky coconut flour or almond meal. Easy, and it makes up tons, which store well in the fridge- and make a great thing to share if people drop round, as a dessert/ alternative to biscuits to have with green tea. 

If I feel a cold coming on- this is the season, after all, I make sure to drink a lot of lemon, ginger, cinnamon and honey tea. Dude, it just kicks it to the curb. 
That takes me through to lunch time, in winter and is about enough for now. Feel free to throw me more questions or thoughts. :)

xx Nell

Also please do not forget to switch over and follow me on Bloglovin' as Google+ is being discontinued on MONDAY. I would love to still have you- and Bloglovin' is a far easier site to use anyway!
Find the link on the right sidebar- or click the Eiffel Tower. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear, you have such a lovely blog here, did we follow each other already? if not, would you like to follow each other? if you decided to follow me on BLOGLOVIN, please let me know so I can follow you back! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete