Monday, May 23, 2011

Post Melbourne Sads and The Haunting of Daniel Gartrell



Little bit feeling like my man Woody here, having had such a great time in Melbourne last week and now being back in reality town! Ha ha. Actually, it's not all doom and gloom, I am getting a little dramatic. Got some pretty full on weeks ahead, as I cram in as much fun and work before I take off again. Getting some secondments organized is pretty exciting. There are some really incredible people out there. Also super excited for the whole PQ event, and some of the great workshops I am going to be doing.

While in Melbourne I had the pleasure of seeing a preview of Straight Jacket Productions new show The Haunting of Daniel Gartrell. A friend of mine had done some animation for it, and it just so happened that I had designed set and costumes for it while at WAAPA with the play write Reg Cribb. It was so interesting to see how it was staged, the design and how our interpretations differed. They did an amazing job, the set was like a collage of doors, surrounded by dried suburban scrub. This not only afforded a lot of depth for the lighting designer, but created this kind of lost world sort of feel. As our design had been an un-realised project, we had had to cast according to our interpretation of the characters, and the funny thing was I remember using an image of John Wood as a reference. The cast were brilliant, it was amazing to see the show come to fruition, since I knew the script so well. If you are in Melbourne, I would head on down to 45 Downstairs and check it out. The link above has the show dates and so on. I will add some pics from my own design below...








Daniel

Craig

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment