Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mexico







"Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?" - Frida Kahlo



Someone who has continuously inspired me has been Frida Kahlo. She endured so much, was a strong, powerful force of a woman. Her work spoke volumes of her intellect and emotions. I was given her biography a number of years ago, having read most of it and maxing out my loan at our local library a few times. It was one of the greatest gifts. Plus Julie Taymor (my hero) made the brilliant Frida film which still blows me away. Treat yourself and watch that breathtaking film!

As I kid I made and collected any hand made worry dolls I could find- having read about them and fallen in love with this Guatemalan tradition. I know I have them around somewhere, but don't quite know where I have put them since I have moved so often. Anyway the idea is that before going to sleep at night you tell each doll your worry, and they keep it for you. You rest the dolls under your pillow and when you wake up the worries are gone. You can get them at oxfamshop.org.au I hope I can someday find my collection to show you! Plus the best kids film out right now is Rango I loved it! So funny. And had to add a pic of Clint Eastwood looking lovely way back when. x

"You might say I'm from everywhere there's trouble brewin' and hell waiting to be raised. You might say I'm what hell's already raised up!" -Rango



1 comment:

  1. Just wanna say hunni that your blog really inspires me and has been a light for me while in a very dark place... so thankyou xx

    ReplyDelete